# # #
IS COSTA MESA'S CITY GOVERNMENT GETTING TOO TOP HEAVY?
The CM PRESS has supported much of what the new Council is doing, but we do think City government is starting to get too top heavy and we also think the Council needs to put fixing the broken Westside as its top priority.
Or, to put this in other words, we think the new Council may be putting too much effort into outsourcing at the lower employment end while porking up at the top, and also may be putting too little effort into fixing the Westside.
And, speaking of this, I once did some consulting to a small manufacturing firm that was having some financial problems. When I visited the factory, I gathered with the executives in the production office that overlooked the lathes that produced the products the firm made.
There were 6 of us in the office looking out the window to the shop floor with the lathes. There was only one machinist working to make the products. Six of us watching and one working. The company had plenty of orders for its products. It had no raw material supply problems. It just had too many paper pushers and not enough workers. We changed that.
Maybe it's time for the new Council to make some mid-course corrections to its trajectory.
# # #
| Crissy Brooks |
In the above column, Crissy-it's-all-about-Hispanics-Brooks, the daughter of Dave Brooks, the president of the Newport Mesa Unified School district and a pastor to the CMPD,* tells us that the scholarships given out by SOY are in danger for lack of funding.
What Brooks fails to tell readers is that those scholarships seem to be going almost exclusively to Hispanics.
If you're a poor White, say a single mother, your White kids probably wouldn't get one of those scholarships.
At least that's what we've gleaned from looking at the lists of those getting the scholarships over the past years.
Now, if we're mistaken, please give us the statistics on the race/ethnicity of those getting those scholarships.
------
*Say, didn't we mention something about pastors and a church or churches in the article below?
# # #
THERE'S LOTS OF BUZZ ABOUT THE HIRING OF NEW ASST. CEO RICK FRANCIS
Some of the speculative threads of the buzz are these:
1. He was pursued by Tom Hatch to use as a foil against Righeimer, et. al.
2. He was pursued by Tom Hatch to help Righeimer, et. al.
3. He was hired to slight Peter Naghavi.
4. He was hired by the hidden hand of Righeimer or Mensinger.
5. He was hired by what some might characterize as a growing born again religious Mafia in local government. (See the "back off" subtle threat from a reader in CM PRESS # 711)
6. He simply saw a job opportunity and applied out of the blue.
7. He was hired by the hidden hand of Supervisor Moorlach. (See Moorlach's email below. Note also that Francis was a pastor at the church attended by Moorlach.)
![]() |
| Rick Francis |
"The speculation around my Chief of Staff’s moving on to work for the city of Costa Mesa continues. The easy answer is that the city’s CEO (City Manager) pursued Rick Francis. We do a lot of work with the cities in the Second District. This is not the first time someone has tried to recruit him away. And, with the County’s budget limitations, I cannot make a financial counter to make Rick rethink the offer made by Costa Mesa.
"The fun answer is that I found Rick and molded and shaped him to be a robotic clone. I encouraged Tom Hatch to steal away my Chief of Staff in such a subtle way that Tom still thinks the idea was his own. I’ve been active in the city of Costa Mesa for nearly thirty years. With the network I’ve built I am slowly reshaping the composition of the city council and staff. I have numerous individuals placed in key positions. My well-orchestrated conspiracy has been working very well, albeit it has taken longer than originally planned. I’ve had defections, but they can be repaired by waiting a few years for the problems to work themselves out on their own. I’d love to share more about my covert activities, but giving away secrets that I’ve learned from my FBI, CIA and Secret Service training classes would be unprofessional. What I will disclose is that my role model is Simon, in the movie “True Lies,” played by Bill Paxton. (If you believe any of the content in this paragraph, then I have a sports car for sale that you may be interested in.)"
# # #
Those are our opinions. Thanks for reading them.

Hey Martin,
ReplyDeleteWhy haven't you mentioned another possibility why he got the job: HE IS BLACK!! You have not said one word on this yet your blog on race constantly. So out of character for you.
To Anonymous: Hmmm. So, you think that's the reason? You're the first person I've heard that from.
ReplyDeleteIf so many have already said that to you, why am I the first post on the subject?
ReplyDeleteA black man helping to run our city? How will you sleep at night?
To Anonymous: How about using some better screen name than Anonymous to avoid confusion?
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'll tell you what I'm losing sleep over: It's the failure of the present good Council to bring in big changes on the Westside. Talk is cheap. I want to see results. Maybe Rick Francis can help do that? We'll see.