John Wayne Airport
The idea is that you'd go to John Wayne Airport, enter the terminal and get on a train (or bus) that would take you to an airport in San Bernardino or Riverside. Here's the paragraph in the Memorandum of Understanding that will probably be signed today about this:
The CM PRESS believes that this may not be the best solution.
By leaving paragraph J as it is, we are putting all our eggs in this one train to plane basket just as we once put all our eggs in an airport at El Toro basket. And, you may recall how all those El Toro eggs got smashed.
To paragraph J. we would add the following after rail links, "and pursue other alternative proposals that may include, but not be limited to, the possibility of building a new international airport on a portion of Camp Pendleton."
Why Camp Pendleton makes sense
The CM PRESS Camp Pendleton proposal would only use about 3% of Camp Pendleton. The rest of the present base (97% ) would continue as a military base.